Saturday, June 23, 2012

Minipost - LOVE 2


Last Saturday evening I just finished reading what I now believe to be one of the most astonishingly well written parallels to the concept of true love that has ever been written. C.S. Lewis’s “Perelandra” proverbially “Took the words right out of my mouth” when it comes to my thoughts on what love is. I’ve tried to explain it to many people through different stories, but this fantastically crafted tale displayed it so well and in so many relatable forms that it would be hard for anyone to walk away from this book without a better understanding of God’s true purpose in temptation, sin, and its converse: Love.
I did my best to try to explain the concept of love in a previous blog post, but I ended up (accidentally) abusing my own story to cover up for one of my own misconceptions. After I wrote the original post, I had a long conversation with my older sister about it and she straightened me out a bit. I had planned on writing another post to explain the faultiness of my first example (and did), but even after explaining it, I don’t think I really did the concept justice.
The truth is, I could spend another couple months typing out all my thoughts on what true love is, and what God’s intention for it was in us, but that would be pointless, since all of my thoughts can already be displayed in a single book, written and explained in far more detail and clarity than I could even dream to. This book, Perelandra, is simply amazing. Read it now. C.S. Lewis, I salute you.
“It is like a fruit with a very thick shell… The joy of our meeting when the we meet again in the great dance is the sweet of it… If we had listened to (the evil one) we should now be trying to get at that sweet without biting through the shell…. And so it would not be ‘That sweet’ at all” – C.S. “Jack” Lewis in Perelandra

No comments:

Post a Comment